Monday, September 28, 2009

Baby's First Gun


Personally, I do not find this picture to be overly offensive. I don't like it, but it delivers the message it was meant to deliver. However, there is one large question that surrounds the image: Should a child actually be depicted holding or within reach of a gun? I don't think so. It is certainly an effective technique, appealing to every parent's emotions. But in a way, that makes it tasteless. Arguments should be made based on facts and ideas, not manipulating someone's emotions.

The message of the image is obvious: keep guns away from your children. As I said, it effectively delivers this message by inspiring fear in every gun-owning parent. The other side of the gun-control debate would most likely respond with a story about how a law-abiding citizen with a gun could have saved someone's life. Both are manipulating emotions, and both make an effective point. The difference, as I mentioned before, is that this image presents a gun within reach of an infant. Stories are one thing, but the image itself lakes taste and is sometimes less effective for it.

So, in the end, I do believe that this image went too far. The same could be accomplished with words, and has been several times in the past. This alternate method can work, but in some cases it might also lose ground with parents who find the image offensive. The anti-gun side of the argument often uses this tactic, presenting shocking images meant to make parents think for the safety of their children. Unfortunately for them, I don't buy it.

4 comments:

  1. I would have to disagree with you that the image is not going too far. The words is not enough to portray the meaning of this image. I do not like this image created by the author at all because babies should not be playing with guns. Also, What do you think the parents of that baby might think? If I was that baby's mother I would not agree to have my baby in this image. I agree with you that the safety of our children is in the parents hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i understand the emotion this would arouse in a parent.i think the message is to keep guns away from kids,and i think the image delivers that message.i just can't think of another way to send that message visually without having a kid somehow close to or with a gun,but making it a baby toy goes a bit too far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey john! This is a really nice argument.I agree that this image went too far because a baby should not play with a gun. Even though the message of the image is understandable, keep gun away from your children. But it still dangerous for a kid to be close to the gun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete